Cardiac Anesthesia Fellowship
For Cardiac Anesthesia fellowships, please contact:
Wilson Cui, M.D.
Program Director, Cardiac Anesthesia
Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Care
University of California, San Francisco
505 Parnassus Avenue, Room M-917
San Francisco, CA 94143-0624
The UCSF Department of Anesthesia Adult Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology fellowship is a one-year, ACGME-accredited program focusing on the perioperative care of patients undergoing cardiothoracic surgery. The fellowship is primarily based at UCSF Moffitt-Long Hospital which offers experience working in an academic tertiary referral center providing comprehensive cardiac care including routine cardiac surgery, heart and lung transplantation, VAD implantation, as well as complex thoracic and vascular procedures incorporating circulatory assist devices including ECMO and ECLS.
Additional and supplementary clinical experience is gained through clinical rotations at Kaiser Hospital San Francisco which serves as a high-volume center for more routine cardiac surgery. These complementary experiences prepare the fellow for diverse practice opportunities – whether it be a busy private practice or an academic appointment. In addition to providing experience in delivering cardiac anesthesia the fellowship incorporates dedicated training in echocardiography, thoracic anesthesia, and critical care. Opportunities for additional experiences including pediatric cardiothoracic anesthesiology, research, and educational projects are also available.
The year will include:
- 3 months of cardiac anesthesia at UCSF Moffitt-Long Hospitals
- 3 months of cardiac anesthesia at Kaiser Hospital San Francisco
- 1 month of thoracic anesthesia
- 1 month of CT ICU
- 2 months of dedicated TEE training
- 2 months of elective rotations
- Starting with this academic year, we will be participating in a computerized match via SF Match. More information will be made available during the interview process.
- SF Match registration begins on November 11th, 2016 and we will be accepting applications until April 1st, 2017.
- We have filled our fellowship position for the academic year starting in July 2017.
- Please contact our Fellowship Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
For our application we request the following in addition to a completed application form:
- 3 Letters of Reference
- USMLE and ITE transcripts
- Medical school transcripts
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
Please click here to download the form-fillable PDF application.
We look forward to sharing more information about our program with you and learning more about your interests in cardiothoracic anesthesiology.
Wilson W. Cui, MD, PhD
HS Assistant Clinical Professor
Program Director, Adult CT Anesthesiology Fellowship